Saturday, August 25, 2007

a new thing

Thank you all for taking the time to check out my new blog. Your love, prayers, and support mean so much--thank you!!

So as most of you know, I work at Multnomah Bible College as the Student Leadership Coordinator and we are just beginning the new school year which is always busy, but always a blast! Part of my job is to advise the student government (STUGO) leaders.  I spent all of last year restructuring the government and this is our first year in the new system.  There is now a Student Senate that is composed of three committees: Advocacy & Relations, Events & Activities, and Clubs & Involvement.  In the past the government has primarily just planned events, so its pretty exciting to have these new opportunities to work for change on campus. We are all very excited for the chance to implement and develop what is only on paper at this point!!  It's been so much fun and I feel like I've been able to use more of my gifting as a visionary in organizational development, in addition to the mentorship and leadership development aspects that I love!!

We went on our team retreat to Cannon Beach last week and had a fabulous time. These are a few pictures from our week! The first night we got there we had a zip-tie dinner where everyone was connected at the wrist. The team made it a hilarious time and we had a blast!!

The girls and I tried a bunch of times to get what I like to call a "self-imposed" picture. Here's one of our attempts!!

The last night of the retreat we went up to a lookout point over the Pacific. It was a gorgeous night and we had an awesome time sharing practical/measurable ways that we would individually resolve to implement our statement of purpose. After collaborating with last years' team I wrote the purpose statement for the government that will drive everything we do as a team. We're going with it for this year and will tweak it if we need to. Here it is...

Endeavoring to develop student leaders who inspire a culture where scholarship compels practice, the student government exists to advocate for student needs and interests, empower student ingenuity, and initiate occasions for fellowship, spiritual growth, and cultural engagement.

I get to work with a phenomenal group of students in an amazing community and I LOVE it!!
If you want to read more about what we're up to with STUGO check out the link under friends on the right!

No comments: